How do you get parents to volunteer in the classroom or the school? What are some volunteer opportunities that were successful in the past or that you want to try in the future?
Joyce Epstein’s Six Types of Parental Involvement:
**TYPE 3–VOLUNTEERING: Improve recruitment, training, work, and schedules to involve families as volunteers and audiences at the school or in other locations to support students and school programs.
Comments from SPLASH Participants:
– give incentives for parent volunteers
– volunteers can read, make copies, be greeters
– have volunteer folders and supplies ready for activities
– have some parent meetings during the day or at lunch time and feed them
– request supplies needed
– put volunteer opportunities on your class/school website